Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Promote Reading All Year


Manitoba Reading Association just announced the theme for I Love to Read month in February. It is Critical Literacy: Empowering Children & Youth to Change the World. More info and ideas will be forthcoming at their website. You will also notice that the Book Whisperer Donalyn Miller is coming to SAGE in Winnipeg On October 23, 2015.  Our friends at the Reading Council of Greater Winnipeg are sponsoring her visit.  If you haven’t heard her inspiring talks (and even if you have), register early to ensure a spot.  Donalyn was one of the featured speakers at the 3rd Adolescent Literacy Summit in Winnipeg in April and she will be bringing a different address to this conference.  Her session is entitled Creating a Classroom Where Readers Flourish. Follow her on Twitter @donalynbooks and follow MRA @mra_mb

We are bombarded with reading material and have a limited time to read! Two blog posts I encountered recently were very useful if you are trying to encourage a school culture of reading.  One of my favourite bloggers Pernille Ripp posted What Administrators Can Do to Promote a Reading Culture. Read it here and I strongly recommend signing up for her blog in your email.  Many of her suggestions are already happening in your schools, but you may find some that could be implemented.  Perhaps a great way to share this article with your administrator would be to attach it to a book you present to your principal to start or add to his/her collection of books available for students. You may want to offer some advice for great books for his/her collection!

The second blog post I want to share with you is Ten Reasons to Read Children’s Books Instead of “Grown-up” Books on The Nerdy Book Club blog. Author of the post, Isabelle Sudron, states, “Kids  books are blunt!” as one of her reasons.  I especially like #8 “You can do voices.” When I read How to Read a Story to the grade two class in Miami last week, they had me go back and reread Step 6 where I could match my voice to the character talking. I think it was their favourite part of the book! I know it was my favourite. For anybody who has been attending our PERC workshops, you know I love kids books and tend to buy many of them.  Keep coming back to hear about more of them and feel free to share your favourites with us, too.





No comments:

Post a Comment